• Blacket-Place-Conversion-Extension-Image
  • Blacket Place

  • Our client's brief was to reverse a historic sub-division of the semi-detached villa, located on the south side of Edinburgh. Along with the reinstatement of the original pencheck stair, the most significant amendment to the property was the single storey extension to the rear. Its proportions, materials and detailing have been developed to form a complementary but contrasting relationship to the adjacent B-Listed Villa (est. 1850).

    The extension provides a large family room, with a volume derived from the stepping nature from Villa and off-shoot, aiming to create a subservient relationship with the original house, while also establishing an independent identity. A black zinc facade is orientated towards the north, with minimally framed glazing orientated towards the South and East to maximise direct sunlight, whilst maximising views of the mature gardens. Internally a Douglas Fir structure is exposed and the separation expressed to glazed outer skin.